Subscribe to my full feed.

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Of Arrivals, Rainforests, and Onions

THANKS, JOHES! ^_^


Okay, SO. Good news. Grace arrived yesterday in our beautiful, little island of Puerto Rico. Today we're going to go to El Yunque Rainforest and I will FINALLY be able to go and bathe in a waterfall. The only other time I've gone, I haven't been able to. Honestly, I think that I'm going to see more of Puerto Rico now than ever. (Actually, that's my mission before I leave for college. I HAVE to see Puerto Rico's landmarks; I can't leave without having done that.) XD

Anyway. Here's what we did yesterday, without the proper accents and stuff because this laptop is a betch. Sorry, Laura! :P I just copy/pasted this from my LJ because I'm a lazy foo'. Every time it says TODAY, it means YESTERDAY. ^_^

Didn't really have school today. I spent all day working on the English Week Activities for elementary school, which included being the pronouncer of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade Spelling Bees, and helping out with random stuff, including taking the time, ringing bells, and whatnot for the 4th-6th grade portion of the activities.
Got out of school, saw a text message from Grace saying they would arrive an hour earlier than planned. So I dashed home, got ready, she arrived, I was still home, our mothers talked, blahblah. We headed to the airport and met up with them at about 3 PM. ^_^ Big hugs upon arrival! Yay! Affection!
Our moms had trouble pronouncing each other's names (Onions and Davida, when their real names are Unyong and Yadira). It was hilarious. I suggested they just call each other Billy and Bob. They were amused. Anyway, we headed from the terminal to Budget, the car-rental place, where Ummah (= Unyong = Grace's mom) got a car. She left it there, though, and we all headed toward Pinones for some super greasy, fried PR food. :D We drove around, talking and joking, and then finally stopped at some random little spot. We tried pinchos (shiskabobs), alcapurrias filled with meat and alcapurrias filled with jueyes (crabmeat), bacalaitos (cod-fritters), rellenos (mashed potato balls with meat inside), pionono (sweet, ripe bananas that are fried and filled with meat...or something like that.), and pina colada with WAY too much rum. Gloria and Grace downed those Coladas, though. I was impressed. They were way too strong for me. XD They REALLY liked the piononos and the alcapurrias. Grace liked crabmeat, but her mom and sis preferred the meatmeat.

Later we headed over to Old San Juan, going through Isla Verde, Condado, and all those nearby places. We got out at El Morro and took some pics, then got back in the car and drove around a little more. From there, we headed over back to Budget where we parted ways and agreed to go to El Yunque tomorrow. I'm so excited. They plan to go all around the island, basically. They're staying at a hotel in Ceiba right now. Two days later, it's an inn in Rincon. Then, another one in Patillas, and FINALLY one in San Juan/Condado?. I'd like to tag along as much as possible, lmao. XD I wanna see bits of PR I've never seen, like Los Banos de Coamo and La Bahia Bioluminiscente (the Coamo Hot Springs and the Bioluminiscent Bay of Fajardo). Bonus points if we wind up going to, say, Culebra! lol

My mom LOVED Grace and her family. *does a happy dance* We are ALL so freakishly similar, it's nuts. Both mom and Ummah share many characteristics, like their love of hitting their children and attempting to Facebook-stalk them. :P And Gloria/Grace/I are super alike as well. Cool beans.

I might miss school on Monday so I can head out to Rincon or something. Woot. Fun, fun, fun. The Calculus test that was today was postponed til' God knows when. I do have to study some more, though, and do a homework thingy we were assigned. God, that Spanish novel is driving me NUTS. I haven't even BEGUN IT and it's due on April 2nd! PRINTED AND BOUND! ACK! I basically have a week to write it. O.O Oh dearie me. Right after I post this, I'm gonna get started on the novel. After that, the Calculus homework. I swear. (EDIT: I fell asleep.)

Anyway, Grace's mom is ADORABLE and super sweet. Gloria is rockin', too. Overall, much love for the fam.

UGH. PAPERWORK! I DON'T WANNA DO IT! Stupid financial aid forms. GRR. I had a parcel to be delivered today, but no one opened the door or something...so I gotta go get it at some point, er, tomorrow, or something. I think it was Swarthmore's accepted-student fat package. (EDIT: Nope, it was just an art-school catalog I'd requested ages ago, hehe. Swat's is mailed on Monday.) BROWN DECISIONS IN A WEEK! UChi...at some point! BU... = 'tevs!



PICTURES COMING SOON!

5 comments:

Laura said...

Yeah, so about you guys not calling me on Friday to go to PiƱones, especially when I live in ISLA VERDE?!?!?! Lol, but I'm glad you had fun, and I'll see Grace and catch up with her at some point during the week. I'm so excited she's here! The bio bay she is going to is beautiful, although my favorite one is in, you guessed it, Vieques :P Take lots of pictures throughout the island!

Nahla said...

aww YAY! i'm so glad you guys are having so much fun!!
keep me posted!!!!!!!!

The Barefoot Lawyer said...

Dang, we don't have these kinds of things in Texas. We have droughts.

The Barefoot Lawyer said...

Oi! Now I can post here, I would like the Cornell TASP blog to know that the UTASP blog's url has changed to: gigglemesh2.blogspot.com

mz. aida said...

:D Whee. I'll keep posting on

http://musechick2007.livejournal.com

^_^ And here as well!

Yay, thanks guys!