I basically love spring. Completely and without reservation. Especially when the word "break" is added to the end.
Today was my first day back at school and somehow, I've still got a bit of that spring break serenity left. Even after waking up early to go and take notes in AP Biology. I mean who really cares about freakin' photophosphorylation. Damn excited-state electrons. They're only fun in physics, which is why I somehow managed to be completely focused when we were learning about them in physics class today. While my teacher was going on about dielectrics and capacitors, I managed to just so happen mention my little raft trip over break.
Basically, me and two friends were bored and so we just up and decided to raft down a nearby creek. Of course, we couldn't use the perfectly good raft that one of them owned, we had to build our own. Out of buckets, 100 ft of rope, duct tape, and a big plastic sheet. I even did calculations to see how big it needed to be to support our weight. So we built it according to the numbers and when it was done we dubbed it the RS IWOP (It works on paper).
To be honest, it didn't look very creek-worthy, my friend's little sister openly mocked us while we were putting it on top of my car to be transported. But I refused to listen to her. It WAS going to work, even if I had to put it on my back and drag it through the water.
After a minor run in with a cop who thought we were going to burn up the nearby railroad tracks, we managed to get to the creek and plop the raft in. And somehow, it floated! I for one was shocked.
When we had fallen in a few times, the whole idea of equal weight distribution finally dawned on us and after an awkward repositioning, we were off and rafting down the creek. One of my friends tugged us a long in a raft of his own, one that he bought. The poor fool.
And so we rafted. For a pretty good distance considering the buckets kept shifting and making us fall in. But eventually, the RS IWOP met its fate after a particularly violent rapid ripped it apart. Godspeed, I'm sure it'll go on to become the RS IWIHT (It works in heaven too!).
Funny thing, none of us had actually considered what to do with the raft after its inevitable end. And that's how we ended up lugging a bunch of buckets and raft materials down the railroad tracks for about a mile, in the dark, with cars passing by and staring. One jogger saw us coming, abruptly turned around, and ran the other way. Personally, I didn't think that I smelled that bad.
So yeah, spring is awesome. Rafting is awesome. Channeling classic Twain characters is definitely awesome.
How did everyone else spend their break? I'm sure you guys all have stories that'll make mine look like the mud-soaked sneakers I used to wade in the creek. And don't leave out any details, especially not the embarrassing ones.
Wednesday, March 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment