Subscribe to my full feed.

Saturday, December 15, 2007

TIME FOR FABULOSITY!

Wow kids. It's been a while.

Finals are here and it's time for procrastination. Gotta love it. :) So, let me update you kids on my life, organized by topic.

First of all, an announcement. If you haven't talked about it with me or seen stuff about it on my facebook, LJ, or something, I wanted to let you all know that I identify as queer and some other stuff I don't wanna prattle on and on about. Basically, I'm a big dyke, hahaha. ^_^ I didn't really talk about this at TASP because I didn't feel it was really anyone's business, unless I was actively interested in someone, plus the opportunity never truly came up. I wasn't going to deny it or ignore the question if it came up, but I just wasn't going to volunteer the information out of the blue. How long have I known? For years. Don't think this is a random whim, mkay? Now that that's out of the way, we can continue. :)

Academics:

My classes this semester were: Intensive Portuguese (double-credit), Intro to Ethnic Studies, Intro to Linguistic Anthropology, and Bodies Out of Bounds (a Gender & Sexuality Studies course about when bodies move beyond what is seen as "normal" and yada yada--so good!). They were all very cool and eye-opening. My Intro to ES teacher was a GOD. I love him. Alas, I have no chance with him--he's gay. My heart weepeth. =P Now finals are drawing to a close and I only have two papers left. I have an A in Ethnic Studies and an A in Portuguese (I think). Anthro might be a B or something? Not sure. I kinda slacked on the midterm and this final paper might not be the best shit ever either, lol. Ah well. BOOB, as I affectionately call it, it a toss-up. I participate in class constantly and I got an A on my first paper, but some of my homework was late, and I have no idea how I did on my in-class final. And I still have a paper to write for that class, due on...Monday? Sunday?

Friends:

SO many cool people. I'm the biggest social butterfly you'll ever meet, I think. It's kind of ridiculous, lol. I know a ton of people, and it's pretty sweet. Some of my closest friends now are people I kind of (or REALLY) disliked at the beginning, so I'm glad I gave them a chance. :) My friends are all over the map, ethnicity/gender/sexuality/age/year-wise. C'est cool. ^_^ Sadly, however, I've seen a bunch of kids leave because of depression, eating disorders, suicide attempts, and other such stuff. It's really jarring.

TASPer contact:

I've hung out with Joy Liu and David Harmon a few times. :) I encourage you all to visit Providence, dammit, and come see me. Whenever I go to Boston, I'll look you Harvard kids up. :P And I miss my Grace-Pie, sooooo yeah. I've thought about ALL of you at some point, and it's been really nice to remember our days at the Cornell branch house. I wear my TASP shirt often. :) I think I'm gonna go visit Miranda from WashU at Wesleyan next semester, as well as visit Harvard, and some other places. YOU SHOULD DO THE SAME! :P

Thanksgiving:

Went to a friend's mother's house in New York and went to her dad's NJ home area to meet her friends. Had my first White Castle experience. Met her family, on both sides, and had a nice, chill Thanksgiving.

Clubs & Miscellaneous Activities:

The naked donut run? Totally happened, though I was too busy to go. SexPowerGod? Went and party-managed. It was fun, but insane. Some people got huge ego-boosts, while others suffered blows to their self-esteem when no one asked them to dance. It was hilarious and interesting, and I dressed up like a sex goddess, so it was great. Starf*ck, which is the second semester dance-party like SPG, will be co-coordinated by me. :) OH, THE POWER! lol. I'm part of the Queer Alliance and some of its subgroups (the Dance Committee & Girl's Night Out), The Next Thing (a group for queer people of color), CityGirls (a middle-school mentorship program), and I volunteer at the Third World Center. I'm on the steering committee for Caribbean Heritage Week right now, and I'm probably gonna be involved in the same shiz for the PR Heritage Week, Latino History Month, and some other related activities. I go to WORD! (the spoken word group) sometimes, and I wanna be part of a frat called Zeta Delta Xi. Yes, me, frats, WHAT? Well, it's a co-ed frat full of cool cats and queer kids, soooo...I love it. :D I'm gonna rush and hopefully pledge. But enough of EC's--this is beginning to sound like a college app. ;)

Love-Life:

I liked this cute Jewish kid from South Africa at the beginning of the semester and he seemed to like me back, but that suddenly disintegrated a few days after it began, so I mourned for a day, then got over it. Then I was mildly curious about a boy and one of my friends said she was obsessed with him. AWKWARD. lol. So...I have a few people on my Tops list (mwahaha, remember the top 5 lists!?), but they're all girls at the moment. Let's see how that goes. ^_^ Thanks to my personality, outfits, and dance moves, I've gotten mad props and respect from a lot of them, so, lol, hopefully that helps me in my pursuits. ;) In fact, I'm not really interested in men right now.:/


I'm really glad I'm at Brown, because it's so liberating. I can be myself. :) Everything is awesome. I'm glad to go home on the 18th, but just so I can see some people and chill out, sans stress, for a while...but I'm already excited to return in january. =) My hair is still changing colors, and it's gonna undergo a full dye-job in February, so be on the lookout for that. ^^ I love you all, and I hope to see some of you soon! <3

3 comments:

Grace said...

YESH, Aida! Sweet. I need to update, too.

Anonymous said...

"I'm the biggest social butterfly you'll ever meet, I think."

Aida, you are as [socially] graceful as a butterfly, but I don't think that a small flitting insect is an accurate metaphor for your robust social life. Perhaps a social pterodactyl? A social fighter jet?

We'll work on this.

It's great to hear from you (and Grace and Alberto)!!!

mz. aida said...

A social fighter jet with pterodactyl wings, perhaps? AWESOME.