Subscribe to my full feed.

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Froggit on the move! and my Pre-school and Christmas

So FINALLY Froggit has been mailed to Turkey. Levent should get it in a couple of weeks, give it some Turkish lovin', and then he'll send it to................. I don't know- whoever gets it next. It has been a true pleasure having Froggit around these past 3 months. He took over my bed and became my dog's worst enemy, but all's well. I hadn't sent it before because I was awaiting instructions from its rightful owner (that means you Manduley!). Originally there was going to be some sort of fake TASP brochure, but I guess that's not happening, so we decided to send the damn creature. No offense to Froggit- he's cool, as you will all get to experience eventually.

So anyway... Yesterday I went to my pre-school's Christmas party and had a great time. I'm still close to my pre-school classmates because our parents are old friends, and so are the teachers. I felt so grown up when I saw the room in which we all took our naps... Everything seemed so small! And I loved seeing my old friends again. It's amazing how, even after all these years, we're still able to have so much fun and have so many things in common. I think my Montessori pre-school definitely shaped who I am today, as weird as that seems. The Montessori method is a great way of learning, and it's a solid base for any student. It was originally designed for developmentally challenged children in Italy, and it's based on learning through practice and experience. It's kind of hard to explain, but let's just say my children are definitely going to a Montessori pre-school. One of my friends (who is a few years older) is in medical school and he is only 20!! I love them all so much. But enough of the rambling. I just had to share that ;)

Another random observation: I was thinking the other day about how, at least in Puerto Rico (and probably the rest of Latin America), Christmas is more of a cultural thing than a religious feast. My parents and I are not Catholic, but we celebrate Christmas anyway because it's so imbedded into our culture. It's a good time to spend with the family and such, even if we don't commemorate Christ's birth. So... I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a happy new year. And for those of you who do not celebrate Christmas, I hope you have a very happy random winter day, with lots of snow... which we don't have here. Bwahahaha.

Much love!
- Laura

8 comments:

Alberto said...

Hooray for Froggi finally going on his merry international voyage.
I also went to a Montessori preschool, and I must say, it rocked.
I do wish eveyone a happy holiday break. Relax, work on some college apps, and have a lot of fun!

Anthony Mariano said...

Happy Winter Solstice everyone!

A few things. First, I don't hate global warming anymore. Thanks to that wonderful man-caused movement Massachusetts has not seen snow yet this year! I'm sure if I could believe for a minute that this would be a snow-less winter I'd be sad but I'm glad it will be light this year.

Second, Laura has correctly identified the reason the "War on Christmas" is such a joke. The US of A is not officially celebrating the birth of Christ. Christmas is a national holiday because it is a cultural thing to most people - Santa, trees and what not. Though, I will gladly say "Happy Holidays" to all.

Third, Laura you have cheered me up with your preschool story. Though its sad we may see each other so rarely in the future its nice to know that all of us will still deep down remain friends. That makes me feel good.

Finally, just a note I had intended to write each TASPer a letter over Christmas break (which for me began last Friday). However, being rejected from Cornell was a shock and I have been consumed by finishing apps, getting ready for Christmas and doing my schoolwork. I will try to get them out as soon as possible, but I do not know when that will be. But know that I still miss you all!

Laura said...

Yes Anthony, you have interpreted it correctly. 20 years from now, us TASPers will meet again and continue to drape as if only a few days have passed since the last time we saw each other. That is exactly what happened with my pre-school friends- draping and all! It made me really happy.

As for the Christmas thing, for a nation so obsessed with political correct-ness, I think Happy Holidays is the best bet. I meant to say that, in my case, even though my close family members are mostly atheists, we still celebrate Christmas because it's just another excuse to hang out with the family and get presents. Let's be honest, lol.

But Muslims and Jews shouldn't have to put up with all the Santa crap if they don't want to, although I don't think it's a huge deal. I'd gladly celebrate Ramadan and Hannukah if they were part of my culture. Hell, I'd like to celebrate them both at some point, just to see what they are like and enjoy the experiences. I'm all for diversity, as you all know :)

Peace.

mz. aida said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montessori

A. YAY FROGGIT! Send it to Grace and Johes next, then Alberto and Diya... Or whatever, really. XD They were enthusiastic about it.

B. Montessori method = <3

C. I completely agree on what you said about Christmas. Here, it's mostly about the presents, the family, the parties, and DUH, the COQUITO! ;)

D. Same here, Thongy. I wanted to write letters, but I'm stuck writing essays. Bah, humbug!

Dan said...

I have reservations about saying Christmas is a cultural holiday in America; it would imply that Americans are cultured.

Laura said...

Dan is the most patriotic American I have ever met. That is why I love him :P

Dan, I assume that by "America" you mean the "United States of America", right? :)

Anthony Mariano said...

Intellectuals don't need to hate America. I love it...shit I'm hurting my point.

Dan said...

Ciertamente.