So I really, really ought to have begun applying for scholarships ages ago, but I didn't. And now that I have begun searching for them, I am intimidated and frustrated and scared.
Most of the scholarships that my school advertises can only be used at Indiana colleges, which is annoying because I cannot wait to leave this flat, soybeany state. I used the collegeboard's scholarship search, which helped me find a few good leads, although it produced a lot of results I couldn't use ("Must write an essay about growth after parent's death in line of duty," etc.) Then I tried the service affiliated with princetonreview.com, BrokeScholar, but after I provided a lot of information, it displayed scholarships for 2006, which leads me to believe it is defunct. Then I tried to do a google search, but narrow terms produced even narrower results ("Philippino journalists for peace scholarship," etc.) and broader terms led me to sites with weird pop-up ads that required application fees. At this point I started to feel edgy and unsafe, as though there were no possible way for me to find a scholarship for which I was eligible, and as though all of these scholarship search services were out to steal my identity.
This in addition to the concern that I won't get any financial assistance at all, and will end up indebted and liberally educated (i.e. skill-less) in four years was quite unsettling. How are all of you faring?
Sunday, January 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Fastweb.com
The collegeboard one.
UM. The deadlines for the ones I applied to already passed, so I couldn't tell you to apply to those. Kiddo, you should've told us a little earlier. We could've helped.
Anyway. I've applied to a few, but some were done in haste and I'm really sad about that. Oh well, nothing I can do about it now. I just hope I get SOMETHING; I really need them. Blargh. But seriously, check fastweb.com. It's good. Check ones about Jewish heritage and all that; there must be some out there!
P.S. - Good luck, Miss Justice.
Yeah, I've checked out fastweb.com, and it seemed to be the nicest and less freaky one. Don't worry/obsess/tear out your hair over this. I'm sure you'll be accepted at other universities, and you can use their financial aid awards to bribe U.Chicago. Colleges will give you SOMETHING, what with three sisters and all.
Still, check out fastweb. I saw some that were very general. Like, write about someone who has influenced you, bla bla bla. And if nothing for this year appears, you can apply for scholarships for your sophomore year.
AND once you are in college look for grants and monetary awards within your major. A friend (who graduated from Harvard) explained to me that rich people usually give universities decent sums of money to give to, let's say "Jewish young women looking to succeed in the field of journalism." You catch my drift? Please please please don't freak out. You will get to go to college and have a wonderful life. With some money. :)
PS- If, by April, the college of your choice has not offered you enough money, TELL THEM. A friend of mine from Harvard did that and they bumped her up a few thousand. There are ways... :)
Post a Comment